Saturday 27 April 2013

Hello, my name is not 'Hey Baby!'




It’s not very often I write discussion posts, mainly because I get stuck for ideas or topics. Recently though, something has been really bugging me and I felt the need to have a bit of a rant. After reading a particular book recently, I began to wonder about conversation/ pet names. This post is mostly aimed at New Adult fiction, as I have been noticing things more and more since the genre emerged. However, the things I have problems with are also done in Young Adult fiction and probably adult, although I don’t read much of that.

The thing that has been driving me mad is the use of ‘baby’. Is this how people actually talk in relationships? I have had my fair share of relationships and not once have I had someone call me ‘baby’ nor have I ever called anyone ‘baby’. Personally, I would much rather someone use my actual name than use a pet name, especially this one. I know that some people must do this but it seems to be happening far too often for my liking in NA and YA books. Maybe it’s just the books I’ve been reading lately, I don’t know, but it seems to be EVERYWHERE.

Now, I’m not saying I hate it completely but I feel that it is extremely overused. I don’t mind the occasional use but to call someone ‘baby’ every single time they have a conversation… too much? I know I’m not alone in thinking that it can affect that way in which you read a book. While I did love the book in question, the use of this particular word did make me like it less than I would have if it hadn’t been used.

I’m sure there are other pet names which other people cannot stand. Is ‘baby’ one of them for you or do you not mind it being used so much in fiction? I’d love to hear your thoughts on the topic whether you agree with me or disagree. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree – I think I would want to lamp someone if they called me baby ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I hate it in books and IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me and my boyfriend do actually use baby… not all the time, not even every day… just occasionally. and we both use it, not just him. I don't mind it at all, unless its over used which I've noticed it can be in books!
    I HATE the word Babe though and told him if he EVER tries to call me it I will not refrain from slapping him :P

    ReplyDelete