Tuesday 24 March 2015

Chick-Lit review: It's Not Me, It's You by Mhairi McFarlane

Title: It's Not Me, It's You
Author: Mhairi McFarlane
Series: N/A
Acquired: Gifted
Genre: Adult - Chick Lit
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release date: 6th November 2014

Delia Moss is pretty content with her not exciting life. She lives with her long term boyfriend, rescue dog and works in a job that is just okay. There's nothing special about her life and she's okay with that. When Delia proposes to her boyfriend and finds out he's actually been cheating on her, she thinks it was all her fault. 

With a massive change and an exciting adventure for someone with no desire for either of those things, Delia begins to wonder if anything was actually her fault. Maybe it was his all along. 

Review
The wonderful Kirsty at The Overflowing Library bought me this one for Christmas last year but it took me a little while to get around to reading it. I had a massive pile of books from my husband I was desperate to read so this one was a bit down the TBR pile. 

I have to be honest and say that this really took some getting in to. For a good chunk of this book I was debating giving up on it. It wasn't that the story wasn't good or funny, because it was, it just took a bit of time to really get into the plot. 

Protagonist Delia doesn't mind that she has a pretty normal life. She goes to work, goes home to her boyfriend and her dog and she quite likes her life. There's nothing exciting or special about it but she's happy so that's all that matters. But, on the day she proposes to her boyfriend and finds out he's been cheating on her, she blames herself and thinks maybe she's too boring. I felt for Deliah, I really did because she thought she knew what she was getting out of like and then her proposal went horribly wrong. 

Delia doesn't want to stick around in Newcastle where she has a constant reminder of her cheating boyfriend so she heads to London to live with her best friend and try something completely new and different. It's not like Delia at all and I loved the chance she took. I did exactly the same thing when I broke up with my boyfriend of 3 years when I was 20 although I moved to Toronto, not London. 

Delia's adventures in London are hilarious. She has no idea what she's doing in her new job, she's scared she'll mess everything up but she is also brave with her decisions. She's also really quirky and fun and I loved that about her. She was far from boring and always up for some fun and banter which mostly what made this such a fun read. I found myself really laughing as I was reading and my husband looked at me like I was insane a few times. There was times where I really could have high fived Delia throughout this book because really, the things she did were pretty amazing. 

Mhairi McFarlane writes such likable characters whom you can relate to. Delia especially is so down to earth and I felt like I'd been in her situation before. Starting over is not easy and she did the best with the situation she was in. Not only did I love Delia but her friends were great and so were the male characters. Strangely, I even quite liked Paul who was the cheating boyfriend. I don't know why I liked him after what he did but he was just a likable kind of guy. 

This book is really 531 pages of complete fun. Yes, it took me a little while to get in to but I'm so glad I didn't give up on it. It's Not Me, It's You is by far the funniest book I've read this year and I would love to read more from this author now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment