Monday 25 May 2015

YA review: Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

Title: Finding Audrey
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Series: N/A
Acquired: Review
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Doubleday Children's
Release date: 4th June 2015

Audrey doesn't leave the house. Not since that day. She only goes out to see her therapist who urges her to take risks and face her fears. That's easier said than done though and Audrey struggles to take off her dark glasses, deal with her anxiety disorder and talk to her brothers best friend who thinks she may just like!

Review
Although Sophie Kinsella is a very well-known name in the book world, this is the first of her novels that I've read and I had no idea what to expect. 

Protagonist Audrey has a anxiety disorder which prevents her from leaving the house apart from to see a therapist. She doesn't go to school and she stays at home with her crazy family instead wearing dark glasses all of the time. Considering everything that Audrey has going on, I would have thought that she would be more down than she was. It was so good to see Audrey's personality right from the beginning. She's a pretty quirky girl and she's funny as well. 

Characters who feature heavily in this book are Audrey's family; her mum, dad, older and younger brothers. I loved the family just as much as I loved Audrey. They're a pretty dysfunctional bunch and are all really different. Audrey's mum is obsessed with The Daily Mail and any article that's published, her older brother is addicted to games and her little brother is a bit mental while her dad just wants to stay out of it all. 

Finding Audrey is a really funny novel and it had me chuckling throughout. I think a lot of this comes from the family and what they get up to more than anything else. Not only is this book funny but it's so heartfelt and real at the same time. I cheered Audrey on the whole time and was routing for her to battle what she was going through and do something amazing for herself. 

Now that I have read a Sophie Kinsella novel I would happily give her adult work a go. I love a book that can make me laugh out loud and this one certainly did that. It was also quite different from other YA novels and even better that it is set in the UK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment