Tuesday 20 August 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Things That Make Your Life As A Reader/Book Blogger Easier



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted at The Broke and The Bookish

1. This has got to be my Google Calender. Not only do I have this blog but I also have a lifestyle/ product review blog and scheduling reviews can be a big headache. Google calenders allow me to see multiple posts on one page and colour coding between blogs makes it easy to see what I'm posting on each day. I used to use a paper calender but I find this so much easier now. 

2. Something I can't live without any more is my whiteboard. Again, with having so many reviews to write sometimes, I can easily forget what needs writing and what has been done already. This is where the whiteboard comes in. On it I have reviews that need writing as well as reviews that need posting to Amazon at a later date due to release dates. Without this, I would never remember to post anything after the review is already written. 

3. My proper to be read pile is absolutely massive at the minute and I'm so behind. But, at the beginning of each month, I set aside a number of books that I want to read in that month. A monthly to be read pile makes it so much easier to find something to read rather than staring at a scary pile each time I want to start something new. 

4. Books are pretty heavy when you're carrying them around and back and forth to work all of the time. This is where my Kindle comes in. Much like my normal to be read pile, I am so behind with Kindle book and those from NetGalley to taking my Kindle to work and only reading e-books on my break means that I get to read from both piles at all times. 

5. This may sound like a pretty strange one but evening shifts help me out so much. If I work a regular 9-5:30 shift, I get home, cook dinner and then don't feel like doing anything at all. But, if I start working at 5ish, I get so much done during the day partly because I have the house to myself and no distractions. On days where I work these kinds of shifts, I get posts and reviews written up and generally get caught up on anything blog related. 

6. A well organised email account is a must have for me. I have so many folders for different publishers/ publicists etc. but this makes it so easy for me to find who I need to email. I can't imagine much worse than trawling through a massive list of emails for one contact and I'm useless and remembering people's addresses. 

7. Not only do I post reviews to Goodreads but this is also where I get the majority of my pictures of covers from. The thing about Goodreads is that it shows multiple versions of the same book so you can pretty much always find the version that you have read. I also use Goodreads because there are so many lists of books that gives me inspiration in regards to what to read next and what to buy.

8 & 9. I'm generally at work in the mornings now when my reviews get scheduled and I don't have much chance to tweet links any more. Networked Blogs  combined with Twitter/ Tweetdeck gets rid of this problem for me. I have set my accounts to automatically tweet and post links on Facebook to my reviews. Although this doesn't add in authors or publishers, at least I know my reviews are out there. 

10. Last but not least is Blogger itself. I know so many people moan about Blogger sometimes and how annoying it can be when scheduling and posting reviews etc. but I've never really had any problems with it. Sometimes I get the weird white boxes around text but these are easily fixed if I remember to preview my posts before scheduling them. Also, I find Bloggers design templates extremely easy to use and to change if I want to do some new things to the blog. 

I tried to make this a pretty varied list - let me know if you agree with any of my picks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment