Monday 4 February 2013

Easy by Tammara Webber

About the book
Easy is a New Adult novel by Tammara Webber. It was published by Razorbill on 3rd January and the book is 304 pages long.

Synopsis (Taken from Goodreads.com)
Jacqueline seems to have a knack for making the wrong choices. She followed her boyfriend to his choice of university, disregarding her preference. Then he dumped her. She chose a minor she thought she could combine with her music studies, but she's falling behind. And then, leaving a party alone one night, she is attacked. If it wasn't for the timely intervention of a stranger, she would have been raped. Now she must make a choice - give up and give in, or toughen up and fight on. Only the support of the man who is tutoring her and the allure of the guy who saved her from the attack convince her that it's worth fighting on. Will Jacqueline now have to make a choice between them too? And can she make the right decision? It's not easy . . .

What I thought
Easy was the second of two New Adult novels I read in one day. This, along with The Vincent Boys was the most recommended and I couldn’t wait to get around to reading it.

Easy does not start off nice and slow. The book begins with protagonist Jacqueline leaving a party and nearly being raped by one of her recently ex-boyfriend’s friends. While I was quite shocked at the beginning of this book, I also think it was one of the strongest and most memorable openings I have read in such a long time. The content is a little graphic, and a little uncomfortable to read, but it makes the situation so real and so scary. The opening of Easy also introduces the other main character, Lucas, who saves Jacqueline from a terrible ordeal. I loved that Tammara Webber tackled such an important issue so early on in the book and it doesn’t stop there, the themes of rape and consensual sex run throughout.

I really liked Jacqueline. Although being put in a terrible situation to begin with after already going through a hard time due to the break up, she springs back well. Yes, her attack scares her and she isn’t quite the same person after that but she doesn’t let it ruin her life. This shows just how strong of a person she is which was something I loved about her. She’s also not an idiot. She’s very aware of what is going on around her and with the people she knows. Jacqueline is also such a normal girl. She goes to college, parties with her friends and has gossip sessions. She isn’t full of herself or arrogant but instead, she’s quite a lovely girl.

As much as I liked Jacqueline, I loved Lucas so much more. Knowing what Jacqueline has been through, he is the most sensitive and gentle guy although a bit distant and weird at times. He’s also quite a mystery, especially to Jacqueline. Lucas doesn’t really let on too much about himself and he ends up being the boy sitting at the back of class with his lip ring, tattoos and sketch book. I loved the mystery surrounding Lucas though because it made me want to find out about him so much more. He’s a complex character who is super-hot and super nice at the same time. What’s not to like?

What I really loved about this book though was that it wasn’t just a love story. Yes, there were strong elements of that throughout and some quite steamy scenes to go with it, but Easy has such a strong plot. Tammara Webber writes difficult themes beautifully and most importantly, she makes them real and easy to relate to. Although the rape issues are a strong part of this book, there is also so much more going on. Easy has so much to enjoy within its pages and I couldn’t put it down.

As you can probably tell, I completely loved this book!

2 comments:

  1. I was really surprised how much I absolutely loved this one. I've even already reread it despite only reading it for the first time recently!

    Love that her other series of books is being published here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I loved this book and it's like you read my mind, everything you said match perfectly the way I feel about this story. I review it too, but I also forgot to say a lot of thing and I'm glad you mentioned them, because everyone should know that the theme of rape is addressed in a really elegant way, so readers shouldn't be afraid of the book just for its theme.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete