Monday 25 February 2013

The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter


About the book
The Goddess Inheritance is the third and final book in the Goddess Test series by Aimee Carter. It was published by Mira Ink on 19th February and the book is 304 pages long. I received this book in e-book form for review.

Synopsis (Taken from Goodreads.com)
During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.

What I thought
I have really enjoyed the first two books in this series and I’m now quite sad to see it end. Aimee Carter has done wonderful things with Greek mythology in this series by bringing it up to date and giving it modern twists.

In The Goddess Inheritance the war between the Gods and the villain of the story, the Titan Cronus has escalated. Everything is now on the line which means this book is full of excitement and surprise. The previous two books have been about protagonist Kate finding her feet in her new life but I felt in this book, she really stepped up when it was needed and although it isn’t easy, she has taken on her new role really well. I enjoyed seeing how Kate coped in particular nasty situations because it showed just how brave she was.

The Goddess Inheritance has some more mature themes to it compared to the other two books due to the fact that Kate now has a baby. She’s still only a teenager and has a marriage and a child to think about even though there is a massive war going on around her. I don’t normally like books with babies but this one was different. Although the baby is a large part of the story, it isn’t gross at all or annoying at any point – which meant I didn’t hate the baby! I have no idea what my problem is with babies in books really, I think it just freaks me out a little.

The villains in this book were fantastic. Titan Cronus along with Calliope who betrayed everyone, were evil to the core but I loved these characters so much. Cronus made my skin crawl while Calliope was someone I wanted to punch. A villain in a book hasn’t stirred up my emotions like these two did in such a long time. However, as mean and nasty as they were, I think both were a little misunderstood. It’s strange feeling sorry for the bad guys but neither have had great lives so no wonder they wanted to act out. Maybe wanting to kill the whole of humanity was going a bit far though.

There are a lot of characters in this book, due to a lot of the Gods being featured at some point or another and there is also a couple of new characters brought in as well. I thought this would get very confusing but it doesn’t. Carter explains extremely well who everyone is and I didn’t get anyone mixed up once. Also, I felt as though in this book, we got to get to know some of the other Gods much more than we have done so far which was nice, especially as the series has come to an end now.

Overall, The Goddess Inheritance is a great end to an even better series which has lots of twists and turns, some sad moments but also some really happy moments. I really enjoyed this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment