Friday 17 January 2014

Faking It by Cora Carmack

Faking It (Losing It, #2)About the book
Faking It is a new adult book by Cora Carmack. The book was published by Ebury Press on 6th June 2013 and it is 352 pages long.

Synopsis
Max Miller comes from a pretty straight laced family and when they surprise her with a visit, she has no idea what to do about her current boyfriend who is covered in tattoos, not to mention her own dyed hair, tattoos and piercings. Desperate, she grabs the nearest guy she can find who looks respectable and asks him to be her pretend boyfriend for a while.

Cade moved to Philadelphia to escape his problems and so he could act. He never expected to get a crazy request from a girl he didn’t know at all. When Cade agrees to play the role of Max’s perfect boyfriend, he had no idea he would be so good at it, or that he would enjoy being her fake boyfriend so much. Could a lie turn into something real?

What I thought
When it comes to new adult books I am getting really sick of reading about weak and virginal girls who are a bit too plain and boring. I wanted a book that was the opposite of that and this was one that was recommended to me.

Max loves her life in Philadelphia. She dyed her hair, got tattoos and piercings and has the boyfriend her parents would never let her have. They expect certain things of her but now that she doesn’t live with them, Max can do whatever she likes… until they turn up for a surprise visit. Her boyfriend isn’t suitable according to her parents and she needs to find someone else and fast. She takes a chance on someone she meets in a coffee shop and asks him to pretend to be her boyfriend for a while, just for appearances sake.

I really enjoyed the plot throughout Faking It. The whole idea of having a pretend boyfriend just to please parents was great as I know my mum hasn’t approved of many of my boyfriends over the years. She would always wish I was with some nice boy instead of the one I was with at the time. Luckily, I married a wonderful man and she’s now happy finally. Anyway, I could totally relate to Max’s situation but I would have never dared asked someone to do what she did.

Cade is that pretend boyfriend. The moment Max meets him, she knows her parents would like him because he is such a sweet guy. I have to admit that I loved Cade to bits. He willingly agreed to Max’s proposition but told her that he really is the perfect boyfriend and that she would find that out soon enough. Although not exactly a charmer, Cade was sweet as anything and a joy to read about. At the time of making the agreement, Cade is still hung up on a girl called Bliss (from Losing It) and he didn’t seem to be able to move on from that.

Although both Max and Cade have their problems, they get along so well together and their time as fake boyfriend and girlfriend is so fun. The chemistry between the two grew at a good pace and there was none of this love at first sight rubbish. The characters get to know each other slowly and gradually let each other in the more they do get to know about the other. This was one of the best, and funniest, relationships I have read about in a long time and it wasn’t even a real one!

As you can probably tell, I really enjoyed Faking It and now have other books by Cora Carmack waiting to be read.  


No comments:

Post a Comment